Crack that Whip

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

So I went to the Fiesta Bowl...

So I went to Phoenix, Arizona, for the Fiesta Bowl... yeah.

At what point do people rationalize driving 32 hours round trip to see a football game? Somewhere along the way, I did. And so did three of my friends. And why four men would drive a car instead of a van or SUV also amazes me. But we did it. And we did it about as quickly as we could.

So what was worse, the drive out there or the drive back? Good question. Glad you asked. They both sucked. The drive there took me from Tulsa.. to Oklahoma City, where I met up with the guys. We then drove to Amarillo, Texas, where my thick headed friend finally decided to go south instead of plow through the snow and ice. (My guess it was because a sign read "I-40 West Closed for next 36 hours". But that's just my guess.) We then went straight south the home of Buddy Holley, Lubbock, Texas... then over to El Paso, or basically Mexico. At one point we stopped at a checkpoint where they were looking for illegal aliens. They glanced at my large Indian friend Les, then decided to let us pass. We then went to Tucson and finally.. 17 hours after our trip, we arrived in Phoenix.

What happened in between our arrival and the OU versus Boise State game, stays in Arizona.

As for the game.. I don't need to say anything other than "PATHETIC."

We left immediately after the implosion, storming out of the University of Phoenix Stadium, cussing the coaches, players, officials, Boise State fans and players, the old guy behind the concession counter that gave me a salted pretzel, bottled water and a churro for 25 bucks... all while asking ourselves why the hell we drove so far for so little.

The drive home took us north then east on I-40, which had finally opened a day before our journey back to God's country. I didn't sleep well. Maybe it was because I was still upset. Maybe it was because Les was driving 95 mph through ice while text messaging. We arrived home 13 hours later. Exhausted. Tired. Still pissed.

Would I ever do another road trip again? Glad you asked. Probably not. But who knows. Obviously my friends and I are idiots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home