Crack that Whip

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My Trip to Mexico..

I recently took a trip to the border town of Reynosa, Mexico. Population 1.25 million.. and growing.

It was a mission trip to the Rio Bravo Children's Home. The home houses more than 75 children, each special in their own way, with their own horrible story of abandonment. Life in the orphanage however, is much better than life outside the gates. It's like an oasis in a hell hole, supported entirely by donations and volunteers.

During my visit, I helped six other men clear a field and build a fence. During the trip I learned how to use a brush hog, how to put up a cyclone fence and how to gain a closer relationship with God. Each man also taught me a little bit about themselves and I'd like to share what I learned.

Scott-Scott taught me no matter how bad my sunburn gets, his will always be much, much worse. Scott is a true redneck.

Mark-Mark taught me no matter where you go in life, somehow, someway, you can always pick up a Texas Longhorn football game on the radio.

Kermit-Kermit taught me to slow down. He moves at his own speed and sleeps whenever he's tired. Whether it's during a water break, church, or a football game, anytime, is sleeping time.

Mike L.-He taught me that I'm not the only one who talks in his sleep. "Get up!"

Roger-Roger taught me how to build a fence and build it right the first time. He also taught me that there is finally another person in the world with as many lame farming/ranching/hauling/bailing and near death experience stories, as my dad.

Dad-Wow. My Dad. He's great. He's an entertainer. I learned on this trip that if I listen twice as often as I speak.. I may just have enough time to listen to about 10-percent of his life stories. Fortunately for the rest of us, we ran out of time before he could finish them all.

Honesty, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I hope to go back someday with each one of these guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home